FEEL THE DIFFERENCE

FEEL THE DIFFERENCE at the Four Elements







Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Power of Music

Music is a very important part of my life and I like using music during my classes. It can help energize a person during a challenging workout or help sooth the nervous system for deep relaxation.

I believe music can be a very valuable tool when doing yoga. One of my favorite cd's to play for shavasana, the relaxation pose done after yoga, is a recording of the Dali Lama chanting a mantra. The definition of mantra from Wikipedia is; a sound, syllable or a group of words that are considered capable of "creating transformation".  I was given the cd when I was going to Red Rocks to be certified as Holistic Health Practitioner. The Dali Lama, was at first, resistant to his students request to have the chant recorded, but he finally relented with the stipulation that the cd be distributed, free of charge, to anyone who wanted it. It has been circulating now for some time. 

 I have been fortunate  to have seen the Dali Lama in person a few years ago in Red Feathers Lakes, Colorado. I was awed by the joyous energy that permeates from him, he has the best sence of humor, and is usually smiling. He also possesses a clear deep baritone voice. His chanting is truly beautiful and mesmerizing and you can hear him smiling as he sings. I think it's wonderful.
The chant is an ancient mantra from the Rig Veda ( a sacred collection of Indian hymns) "Maha Mrityunjaya" mantra and was recorded by one of the Dali Lama's disciples.

Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra translation:

I meditate on and surrender myself to the Divine Being who embodies the power of will, the power of knowledge and the power of action. I pray to the Divine Being who manifests in the form of Fragrance of Life and is the eternal Nourisher of the Plant of Life. Like a skillful gardener, may the Lord of immortality residing within me free me from death, decay and sickness and unite me with immortality.

Explanation: This is a healing and nourishing mantra and is, in a sense, the "Heart Veda". The healing force awakened by the mantra sends forth its ripples from the body to the psyche and from the psyche to the soul. It strengthens our powers of will, knowledge and action, thus unblocking the flow of enthusiasm, courage and determination. The vibration of the mantra awakens the internal healing force while attracting nature's healing agents, creating an environment where the forces of both origins converge. This mantra connects us with the healer within and helps us receive the full nourishment from foods, herbs and any discipline undertaken for our total well-being. It is very beautiful and very powerful.

Stop by The Four Elements and pick up your free copy of this cd!  303-670-1180

Namaste!    Stacey


No comments:

Post a Comment